- E-mobility needs more optimized electromechanical devices with enhanced performance, lower material consumption and life cycle cost. This demand is pushing the manufacturers and research community to explore nonconventional designs and manufacturing methods. Additive manufacturing (AM) technologies are opening up new possibilities for realizing novel magnetic circuit designs.
- By tailoring material compositions together with optimized processing parameters and particularly, with post-treatments, high performance soft magnetic components can be manufactured by laser powder bed fusion (L-PBF). Further, it has been shown that through topology optimization, the weight of an electrical machine can be decreased significantly without compromising the other key characteristics.
- Electrical machine (EM) and drive industry, with a value of 6.3 B€ in Europe, is among potential end-users.
Solution: Designing materials solutions
- Upscale soft magnetic alloys tailored for additive manufacturing with minimized amount of critical raw materials.
- Demonstrate a manufacturing route where the restrictions of conventional manufacturing methods do not apply enabling groundbreaking changes in designs and consequently leading to lightweight and material efficient solutions for, e.g., future e-mobility.
Project duration: 1.1.2021 – 31.3.2024